God Hears and Answers

God Hears PrayerThursday mornings usually find me on the tennis courts playing doubles with several like minded friends. Last week, my partner was serving when all of a sudden I felt one of my “episodes” coming on. For many years I have experienced these episodes a couple times each year. I never know when they’re going to happen, and they don’t seem to have anything to do with whether I’m active or sitting watching TV. Years ago I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. In laymen’s terms, one of my heart valves does not close properly, so occasionally this leads to very rapid heart palpitations, shortness of breath, and a general feeling of malaise. Usually, the event is over in about twenty minutes with no after effects.

That Thursday, on the court, I was aware of my heart rate increasing erratically. Feeling like I might black out, I stopped the game and sat down. After 45 minutes, when it still hadn’t slowed down, I headed home. It was then that symptoms worsened, and new symptoms quickly developed …nausea, a slight headache, continually feeling like I was going to faint. My heart was racing much longer than usual with the accompanying labored breathing.

I began to ponder a number of years ago when Bill had a stroke. He didn’t have the usual symptoms because his was a hemorrhagic stroke accompanied with a migraine headache and nausea. Now, with similar symptoms, I wondered if I was having a stroke and needed to go to the hospital. I grabbed my phone and dragged myself into the bathroom, collapsing on the floor with no energy to get up.

I had already called Bill, who was at a business appointment in another town. Since I wasn’t originally alarmed, I had said he didn’t need to come home. But after another hour with escalating symptoms, I called him again. “You need to come home right away,” I mumbled into the phone. I also phoned Jeannie, a close friend, who was supposed to meet me for lunch. She quickly headed for our house.

Then an interesting thing happened. In the blink of an eye, suddenly all my symptoms ceased…my erratic heart rate and breathing were suddenly normal, nausea was gone, and my head was clear. As I lay on the floor, a tear rolled down my cheek as I pondered a thought…Bill and Jeannie were most likely crying out to God for me at that very moment and God had heard and answered their prayers.

Bill arrived first. Finding me on the bathroom floor, he gently helped me up. I still seemed fine. As I talked with Bill and Jeannie, who had now arrived, both disclosed to me, that yes, they had been praying as they drove, but remarkably, about half way here, they each felt God told them they had prayed enough, that He had heard their prayers and answered. I asked Bill when it was that he felt God affirm that the event was over and He said about twenty minutes ago. I looked at the time. Since I had the phone in hand while awaiting his arrival, I had noted the time when my symptoms stopped. It had been exactly twenty minutes prior, just when God had revealed to both Bill and Jeannie that I was fine.

I was awestruck! God had heard their prayers. We all agreed this was a miracle. Jeannie stayed and we three had lunch together. Later, I heard from our daughter, Kim, who explained that all day, I had been heavy on her heart. Now she knew why. I love how God partners with us for the good of each of His children, speaking to us, putting others names on our heart, and answering prayer. How great the Father’s love for us.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s